Enter your zip code or city and state
to find locations nearest to you.

File Your Tax Returns Before the IRS Does it for You!

Apr 3, 2012

There are plenty of tax filers who procrastinate filing their returns. There are others who just don't file at all, for one reason or another. Some owe money to the IRS, some are afraid of owing money. Some feel the process is too complicated, some attempt to sweep it under the rug. Whatever the reasons, if you decide not to file your IRS tax return, or put it off too long, the IRS just may file it for you.

When the IRS receives information that an individual has taxable income, like a 1099, W-2 or a report of interest or dividends paid, they usually provide the individual with ample time to file, maybe even a number of years. But if the proper returns aren't eventually filed, the IRS may file what is called a "substitute return" in its place. A substitute return can take the place of the return that you should have filed. It can also have disastrous consequences, because it usually puts the tax filer in the worst possible tax situation.

The reason a substitute return, sometimes referred to as a "ghost return" leaves the tax filer at such a disadvantage is because the IRS only files the return related to income information. They have your income statements as reported to them by those who paid you, but they don't have the deductions. They don't bother to add your dependents or spouse. They always use single filer status. The IRS doesn't document your medical or education expense, charitable contributions or a whole host of other things that reduce your tax liability.

Jackson Hewitt Central Florida already knows how to find every deduction you qualify for and get you the most money back on your federal return. But they can't help you if you don't file. Non-filers may see some years pass, but the IRS will eventually file those past returns and send along the bill to you with penalties and interest. That's why it makes sense to file your past due or current tax returns right away.

Even if you already received a substitute return from the IRS, Jackson Hewitt Central Florida can file your actual return. You'll still owe unpaid tax as well as penalties and interest, but you'll almost certainly owe much less than you think.

A visit to www.JackosnHewittCentralFlorida.com is the best way to start the process of getting your non-filed returns up to date. Jackson Hewitt tax preparers will work with you in the strictest of confidence to get all returns filed and help you save the most money on your tax obligations.

Answers To Your Tax Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
to Assist Your Tax Preparation

You have tax questions. Jackson Hewitt is your one-stop source for tax information to help you easily and correctly file your return and receive your tax refund fast.

With an Assisted Refund

Get upto $9,999 Fast

Ask your tax pro for details

What Should You Bring To You Jackson Hewitt Tax Interview

Do you know what documents are needed for your interview?

Check the list below. You many not need or have all of these documents. Bring the ones you have. If you have questions, ask your Jackson Hewitt tax agent.

What to bring:

  • Wage statements/W-2s
  • Driver’s license(s)
  • Social Security card(s)
  • Dependents’ Social Security numbers and dates of birth
  • Last year’s Federal and State tax return, if not a prior-year client
  • Child care expenses and provider information
  • Lottery or gambling winnings/losses
  • State or local taxes paid
  • Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid/1098
  • Real estate and personal property taxes
  • Cash and non-cash charitable donations
  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Record of purchase or sale of residence
  • Alimony paid or received
  • Unreimbursed employment-related expenses
  • Job-related educational expenses
  • Educator expenses
  • Tuition and Education Fees/1098-T
  • Student loan interest/1098-E
  • Casualty or theft losses
  • Commissions received/paid
  • Pension, retirement income/1099-R
  • Unemployment income/1099-G
  • Canceled Debt Amount/1099-C
  • Social Security income/SSA-1099
  • IRA contributions
  • Statements on the sales of stocks or bonds/1099-B
  • Interest and dividend income/1099-INT/1099-DIV
  • State refund amount/1099-G
  • Income and expenses from rentals
  • Self-employed business income and expenses/1099-MISC
  • Estimated taxes or foreign taxes paid
  • HUD-1 statement or substitute, if new home purchased

Do You Need An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)

Find Out If You Qualify and Whether You Need to Apply for An ITIN

An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) enables individuals who aren't eligible for Social Security Numbers to comply with US tax laws and take care of their IRS requirements. The ITIN is issued for the purpose of filing taxes but has other uses such as:

  • Establishing credit
  • Opening a Bank Account
  • Purchasing a House or Automobile
  • Renting An Apartment or House
  • Starting a Business

An ITIN cannot be used for employment purposes.

Jackson Hewitt Tax Service can assist as a Certificate Acceptance Agent before IRS with the application process for the ITIN, including the following steps:

  • Completing Form W-7.
  • Completing Form 1040.
  • Jackson Hewitt Acceptance Agents send paper forms of all documents to the IRS.

Family members can be included on tax returns filed using ITIN if:

  • They qualify as dependents
  • They live in Canada, Mexico or the United States
  • If dependents do not qualify to obtain a social security number you can apply for ITIN's for them.
  • By law the IRS is prohibited from communicating with the Department of Immigration unless tributary fraud should exist.

*TaxPrep1 is the owner of this site and is responsible for its content.
**Offer Valid on tax preparation fees only. Does not apply to financial products, online tax preparation product or other services. Valid at participating locations only and may not be combined with any other offer.
† Terms and conditions apply. See tax pro for details.